LEONOR JURADO LASPINA
(b. Quito, 1979)
Leonor is a visual artist and a university teacher. She holds a B.A from University of Missouri, Kansas City and an M.F.A in Photography and Fibers from University of Missouri, Columbia in the United States, where she lived for 17 years. She has developed an academic career as a teacher and has exhibited, individually and collectively, in different parts of the United States and Ecuador. She has given workshops and talks about photography, its history and its techniques. Her work explores the photographic object using alternative materials and processes which address issues of precariousness and vulnerability in relationship to the body and nature. She currently resides between Quito and Los Angeles, California and is represented by García Squared Contemporary gallery in Kansas City, Missouri (USA).
- Make of It What You Will, group show, Muzeumm Gallery, Los Angeles, CA. USA *(group show)
- Ciudad Transferida de Leonor Jurado y EduardoValenzuela para exposición colectiva Mapear no es Habitar. Arte Actual. FLACSO-Quito.*(group show) https://issuu.com/arteactualflacso/docs/libro_4eiate_-_pdf_web
- Festival Fotográfico Fotómetro, exposición colectiva. Museo de la Ciudad – Quito. *(group show) http://fotometro.lametro.edu.ec/2016/05/12/el-fotometro-en-el-museo-de-la-ciudad/
- Untitled. Panorámica / Pop Show / – Quito. Ecuador *(solo show)
- ¨7Files. García Squared Contemporary Gallery, Kansas City,USA. *(three-person)
- Perma-F(r)ail (traveling show), Paragraph Gallery , Kansas City and The Howard Art Project, Boston, USA. *(group show)
- Untitled. García Squared Contemporary Gallery, Kansas City USA. *(solo show)
- “Concurso Internacional de Fotografía Iberoamericanos 2011”, Spanish Embassy, La Paz, Bolivia. *(group show)
- “Desarraigo”, Solo Exhibit. Centro Cultural Benjamín Carrión, Quito, Ecuador. *(solo show)
- “On Spirituality: Emerging Visions of the Spiritual”. Gallery 842, Marshall University, West Virginia, USA. *(group show)
- “Beyond the Resume” Foundry Art Centre- St. Charles, Missouri, USA. *(group show)
- “Unrooted”, MFA Exhibit. George Caleb Bingham Gallery, University of Missouri, USA. *(solo show)
- “Happy Medium”, George Caleb Bingham Gallery, University of Missouri, USA. *(group show)
- “NAGAS – North American Graduate Art Survey” Katherine E. Nash Gallery, University of Minnesota, USA. *(group show)
- “WINTER SUN: Festival of New Arts and Tradition”, Group show. Ukrainian Institute of America, New York, USA. *(group show)
- “Self-Portraits”, a collection, Craft Studio Gallery, University of Missouri, USA. *(solo show)
- “Naturalezas Muertas” with Derek Andes. Craft Studio Gallery, University of Missouri-Columbia, USA. *(three-person)
- “Nineteenth Annual Missouri Top 50 Competition”, Missouri State Fair, Sedalia, USA. *(group show)
- [Im]mediate: The Politics of Time¨ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, USA. *(group show)
- “Exchange” MFA Graduates, George Caleb Bingham Gallery, University of Missouri, USA. *(group show)
- “La Lotería”, Mattie Rhodes Art Gallery, Kansas City, USA. *(group show)
PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
- Radial VIII – Artists talk with Ana Alvarez-Errecalde y La Suerte. El cuerpo precario: Experimentos fotográficos deLeonor Jurado, Centro Cultural Metropolitano, Quito, Ecuador
- Fotómetro: Saber y Pensar la Fotografía, Museo de la Ciudad. Quito, Ecuador. http://fotometro.lametro.edu.ec/event/coloquio-saber-pensar-y-hacer-fotografia-contemporanea/
- XV Panorámica (Presentation in pop up gallery). Quito, Ecuador. http://panoramicaquito.blogspot.com
- Women´s letters, Workshop on violence against women and Performance in conjunction with De Tu Puño y Letra by Suzanne Lacy. Universidad de las Américas, Quito, Ecuador.http://www.udla.edu.ec/2015/11/06/una-voz-para-quienes-viven-en-silencio/
- Pinhole Camera Workshop. Summer Academy 2015. Universidad de las Americas. Quito, Ecuador. http://www.udla.edu.ec/internacional/cursos-internacionalidad/communication-summer-academy/academia-de-comunicacion/
- Selected artist for Fetish, first contemporary art auction. Casa Mutante, Quito, Ecuador.
- Talk: Perception of Reality, with Lara Shipley and Ahram Park. Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, USA.
- Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City (USA) WORKSHOP Pinhole cameras: Inspired by the exhibition Invented Worlds by artist Ruth Thorne Thomsen, July 16-18
- Alt. Lecture 2, WITH Nick Olson. Paragraph Gallery, Kansas City, USA. http://info.umkc.edu/art/1226/nicholasolson-leojurado/
- Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City (USA) WORKSHOP: Photo Scholars: Alchemy, Magic and Metaphor. Work elaborated with museum’s photography collection focusing on the history of photography, from daguerreotype to digital photography. July 16-18
- Regional SPE Time for Light: On Photography and Other Facts of Life (Panel with Carlos Diaz, Richard Gray, Elijah Gowin and Jon Yamashiro), Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA.
- Women and The Politics of Possibilities, Montgomery College, Washington DC, MD, USA.
- Overview of current work. Lecture Series George Caleb Bingham Gallery, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA. Craft Studio / Missouri Student Gallery Association, Columbia (USA), Photography Workshop: photographic techniques, basis of the camera, developing techniques, use of darkroom and digital laboratory. October 1-29
- The Body and Photography: Examinations on the Being” – The Body Project: Anatomy, Relationships, and Representations” English Department and the Center for Arts and Humanities. University of Missouri, Columbia (USA)
2008-09 Hazel Steele Burney Endowment, Department of Art University of Missouri, Columbia, MO. (USA)
2007-08 Ann Stevens Hoffman Memorial Scholarship, Department of Art University of Missouri, Columbia, MO. (USA)
ARTICLES & BOOK COVER ART
- JURADO. L. “Windows between realities” by Annie Raab http://annieraab.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/windows-between-realities-the-photograph-works-of-leonor-jurado-laspina/ Kansas City, MO, USA.
- JURADO. L. The Hand Magazine: article and limited edition of five photographs on wood and scented with palo santo. Kansas City, MO, USA.
- Katalizador Magazine #4- Article by Abdón Ubidia. Quito, Ecuador.Cover of (Re)-Turn: A Journal of Lacanian Studies. Edited by Ellie Ragland. University of Missouri-Columbia, MO, USA.
- Book cover for Troubling Violence: An Auto/Ethnographic Performance Project, by Elaine Lawless and Heather Carver, University of Mississippi Press. USA.